Fate Machine 1.0 Fate Machine 1.0

You are Lord Popeye, the dick-raping fucker. Your destiny is to stab Lolicons.
Epic. Quick laugh, fun times :D

Verge Verge

Great, but wish there was more.

The game's quite novel in the way it plays, and it reminds me of Portal to some degree - the use of momentum for puzzles where timing is crucial and you need to do creative problem solving makes for a very riveting experience.

The music is absolutely wonderful. It's so eerie I had to turn it off - it was creeping me out after a while! That said, the sound effects are perhaps a bit loud relative to the music, but no biggie.

Make no mistake: this game is designed to frustrate you out of your wits as you piece together what exactly you're supposed to do after receiving just the basic info. For this reason, I think it would be unfair for me to tell anyone reading the review any more than that *snickers* Figure it out on your own, and leave no stone unturned. You will feel better about it after you *do* figure it out.

Now, why the 9/10? For the level of frustration given to the player, I feel like there isn't enough reward for it in comparison - I specifically remember thinking "that's it?" upon completing it. It seemed to be building up to some important/big resolution and some explanation, but plot-wise seems to leave more questions than answers (leading to the unfinished business feeling). It could use just a little extra story there.

Despite this, I'm dying to play it again! (sorry for the bad pun :P)

FFVIII: Force Your Way Metal Cover FFVIII: Force Your Way Metal Cover

I feel like the guitar is overpowering everything else. The bass and snare drums are strong, but the cymbals are maybe slightly too weak - maybe make some cymbal hits more pronounced? Some of the synths you use barely have any "say" - I'd advise going back to mastering and playing with the levels, maybe adjusting the timbre of the synths, because at times they feel more like an afterthought than an integral part of the piece. Perhaps the solution would be to notch the guitar down a little (and at the same time the drums so that they don't become too loud as a result) - again, I'd play with the levels and see where it goes. Thus why you lost half a star there. Otherwise some pretty sick stuff you got there - I'm a fan of FF music, so this was a treatsie. :) Hope this helps!

JDawg00100 responds:

Thanks! It's not very easy for me to manage 3 or 4 different synth/key parts with two guitar leads, rhythm guitar and drums all going at once, might just take a few more hours of tweaking to get it there. :P

Drums Of Mordor Drums Of Mordor

This would have gotten full marks, but the drums.... as Shurrikane already mentioned, the transition at 1:10 could be better - but the drums don't get better, either. The drums are playing off rhythm for a good amount of time since they get introduced at that transition point, which is sadly distracting. To sum up: excellent build up, then awkward transition, and fumbled drums distracting from something that could have grown truly epic. Drums are ever meant as flavoring to spice up a piece, contrary to popular belief, and if not done right they WILL break it. (there are exceptions, but there's a reason they're exceptions!) Nail them, and they augment your creation; add them and fumble, and they will be noticed immediately for the wrong reasons. Do experiment with what drums can do for you in this and other pieces, and best of luck in your musical journey :) (it's my way of saying, keep up the good work - you're not *there* yet, but you've got things going for you. Don't EVER let the negative bits get you!)

BMBRJCK responds:

Thank you for the review! It is very hard to notice such things if you are hearing the track hundred times.
Thanks a lot!

Tracing Stars (Original Mix) Tracing Stars (Original Mix)

Well, congratulations, at 1:20 I went "Jesus, that's immersive". 3 minutes in, I'm still loving it. Here's the kicker, though - I'm not a fan of most trance music due to the repetitive nature of it. You seem to introduce enough variety to stave off my cringe at repetitiveness - or rather, there's no excessive repetition I can detect (or have my tastes changed?). In fact, are you sure this is really trance? OK, kidding on that last one. But seriously, I usually can't listen through an entire trance piece because the repetitiveness gets to me, and here I am, listening to silence now cause the piece has finished. My only gripe would be what sounds like cello - it sounds somewhat unnatural at a few points, either because it comes from a MIDI soundbank or it's just a limit to what you had to work with. This is mostly why I went with 4.5 and not 5 stars. Mixing acoustic and electronic is tough to begin with, however, so again, hats off to you. Keep up the good work!

Elf Girl Elf Girl

You seem to have a rather interesting style. At times angular, at times very flowy. Also, you sometimes have very neat lines, other times very sketchy like and rough (the latter being akin to what I tend to do). Interesting use of clear lines to make the character look cartoonish, too. I looked at a few of your pieces, and I just can't make up my mind! :D Well done, though. Keep up the good work!