Verge Verge

Great, but wish there was more.

The game's quite novel in the way it plays, and it reminds me of Portal to some degree - the use of momentum for puzzles where timing is crucial and you need to do creative problem solving makes for a very riveting experience.

The music is absolutely wonderful. It's so eerie I had to turn it off - it was creeping me out after a while! That said, the sound effects are perhaps a bit loud relative to the music, but no biggie.

Make no mistake: this game is designed to frustrate you out of your wits as you piece together what exactly you're supposed to do after receiving just the basic info. For this reason, I think it would be unfair for me to tell anyone reading the review any more than that *snickers* Figure it out on your own, and leave no stone unturned. You will feel better about it after you *do* figure it out.

Now, why the 9/10? For the level of frustration given to the player, I feel like there isn't enough reward for it in comparison - I specifically remember thinking "that's it?" upon completing it. It seemed to be building up to some important/big resolution and some explanation, but plot-wise seems to leave more questions than answers (leading to the unfinished business feeling). It could use just a little extra story there.

Despite this, I'm dying to play it again! (sorry for the bad pun :P)

Tracing Stars (Original Mix) Tracing Stars (Original Mix)

Well, congratulations, at 1:20 I went "Jesus, that's immersive". 3 minutes in, I'm still loving it. Here's the kicker, though - I'm not a fan of most trance music due to the repetitive nature of it. You seem to introduce enough variety to stave off my cringe at repetitiveness - or rather, there's no excessive repetition I can detect (or have my tastes changed?). In fact, are you sure this is really trance? OK, kidding on that last one. But seriously, I usually can't listen through an entire trance piece because the repetitiveness gets to me, and here I am, listening to silence now cause the piece has finished. My only gripe would be what sounds like cello - it sounds somewhat unnatural at a few points, either because it comes from a MIDI soundbank or it's just a limit to what you had to work with. This is mostly why I went with 4.5 and not 5 stars. Mixing acoustic and electronic is tough to begin with, however, so again, hats off to you. Keep up the good work!

Nii San (Brother) Nii San (Brother)

Very well done. It kind of reminds me of Avatar - The Last Airbender's soundtrack in both instrument choice and the atmosphere it induces. Pleasant to listen to, not overcrowded with instruments and has proper flow. I'm sure I could learn a thing a two from this :) Hats off.

Adventure on a Horse 2 Adventure on a Horse 2

Pardon my rant in advance. Each and every new melodic line/instrument that you introduce gets louder and louder and towards the end drowns out everything else (and does so unevenly). The reverb doesn't help, as it muddles things up - sometimes that's the desired effect and works well, but not here. The piece sounds fine until the second set of string and brass kick in - that's when it starts to muddle bad. I'd use the mixer a little more - try bringing levels of all the instruments down in there and notch off some of that reverb - it should help clear things up a little. I listened to the original piece to see if it suffers from the same: yes and no. It's got slightly excessive reverb, too, imho, but it works better because the instruments aren't drowning each other out nearly as much. Another way you can help clear it up is by simply reducing the number of instruments still playing in the background as you introduce new ones - then the new ones don't have to be as loud to get through. Don't be afraid of silence, by the way - you should have some silent or quiet moments in a piece to contrast the loud ones. And no worries, I've done the same mistakes before, and learned the hard way. Hope this helps :)